Sunday, September 19, 2010

Customer of the Day Award

Day 4 9/18/2010.  We must keep in mind that my posts are relevant to the blog title in that most of these stories (except maybe the short one about my sister) relate to how I got to this place in my life.
I have a talent for gravitating towards jobs where customers should know what they want, but don't.  I used to work at Tower Records which was the greatest job ever!  I don't know about you but when I go to a product specific retail store, I usually go in with enough information to get what I need.  At Tower Records, we constantly had customers who came in or called on the phone and asked questions. The most common question, "I'm looking for a song that's sung by a female artist with the word love in it, can you help me?".  The wonderful thing about Tower was that the answer was always just no and then you just got to walk away and go on about your business without a second thought, leaving a confused and irritated customer in your wake . The next most common question was a phone call, "I just heard this song on the radio, can you tell me what it was?".  Again, no.  I'm at work, I'm not listening to the radio.  And if I were listening to the radio, I probably wouldn't be listening to the same crap you are.  LOVED that job.  Anyway, after my several years at Tower I somehow moved into the restaurant industry and that brings me to my current job.  My co-worker is not the only stressful part of my current job.  Customers provide their own source of stress for me.  Our company delivers for about 55 specific restaurants.  You can find a list of the restaurants and what areas they deliver to a number of different ways.  We try not to make it difficult as we actually want people to use the service.  Not too long ago I received a phone call just as I had walked into the office for the day.  The woman asked me if we deliver from Waffle House.  I politely replied no ma'am, we don't, and figured that was probably the end of the conversation.  It wasn't.  She then asked me the same question in a different order.  Perhaps thinking I might change my mind. "So you don't deliver from Waffle House?".  No, we have about 55 restaurants that you are more than welcome to choose from but unfortunately Waffle House is not one of them.  Again, I thought that would have to be the end of the conversation.  Nope.  "But I want Waffle House".  At that point I started getting a little anxious and a little irritated.  I'm sorry ma'am but I really can't help you.  "But I can see it from my window".  After I smacked myself in the forehead in frustration, I paused.  Is it within walking distance, I asked? "Yes, I can see it from my window".  Could you walk there?  "Yes, I told you, I can see it from my window".  Then perhaps you should walk there..."So you won't deliver it to me?" I hung up the phone.  I'm quite sure that was not the right way to handle that situation but by the end I was so rattled and annoyed I had no idea how to put a stop to this early morning madness.  Bad customer or bad customer service, you decide.

How I looked

How I felt

4 comments:

  1. ...and that is exactly why I got out of customer service! After 7 years of that kind of stuff I COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! So kudos to you for being able to put up with people like that.

    I find it hilarious that customer was too lazy to walk across the street and get it herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sad thing is I knew where she was and she didn't even have to cross the street to get there. Its virtually in the same parking lot. I also don't think that it even ever occurred to her to go get it herself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps you could find a job outside the realm of customer service... I'm just saying....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duly noted and completely understood. Believe or not I actually like my job and I'm quite good at it. I am not given to things like hanging up on customers and telling to take a walk to get their food. This woman was the exception rather than the rule...thanks for sayin'...

    ReplyDelete